Tried making a steamed cheesecake, based on the recipe by Aunty Yochana :
Ingredients4 eggs - separate egg yolks and egg white
120 gm sugar
1/8 tsp salt
250 gm cream cheese
150 gm whipping cream
100 gm cake flour
30 gm cornflour
1 tsp. vanilla essence
2 - 3 Tbsp. Chocolate emulco
(1) Beat cream cheese, salt and 1/2 of the sugar in a mixing bowl till creamy then add in eggs one by one , followed by whipping cream.
(2) Fold in flour and corn flour and mix evenly. Add in vanilla essence.Whisk egg white with the balance half of the sugar until fluffy. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.
(3) Take out 1/4 of the mixture and add in chocolate emulco. Stir till evenly mixed. Put batter into a piping bag.
(4) Divide Plain mixture into 3 parts. Pour 1 part of the plain batter into a square tray 7" x 7" (lined with paper) and pipe some chocolate mixture on top. Steam for 10 mins. Repeat process till finished.
(5) Cool cake on a cooling rack.
I didn't separate the eggs and make the meringue. I just added the eggs after mixing the cream cheese, salt and sugar. :P I think that is perhaps why the cake's not as soft as I expected it to be.
I also substituted the mteric units with tablespoons and cups. :P Don't have a weighing scale here in Vista. T-T Oh, and didn't use chocolate emulco. Just dumped everything in the pan and let it steam. ^-^"
You'll notice that there's no butter included in the recipe. That's definitely a plus for diet-freaks-who-fail, like me. T-T The cake is oh so rich with cream cheese, yet its taste is not overpowering. It's just right. :)